After a long day of work, you come home and want a quick, healthy snack. But, cookies, chips and soda are all the foods that come to mind first. Sound familiar? At Wesley Woods at New Albany, we try to have healthy snacks premade, and ready to take on the go, should our residents, staff or family members need a quick treat. One of our chef’s, James Bline, favorite recipes is Winter Farro Grain Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette. This serves as a great snack or side dish during the wintery months, and it can be made in advance and stored in your refrigerator. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 butternut squash peeled seeds removed then diced
- 4 parsnips peeled and diced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 4 tablespoons butter separated
- 3 cups farro grain
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large shallot minced
- 4 cup chicken stock
- 3 cups finely shredded kale
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons cranberry juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss butternut squash in olive oil season with salt and pepper and roast in oven for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Toss parsnips in olive oil, season with salt and pepper, roast in oven for 15-20 min or until tender. Cool.
- Heat a pan over medium heat with 2 tablespoons butter, sauté shallots and garlic.
- Add farro grain and lightly toast.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and simmer for about 40 minutes or until tender. Cool.
- Heat a pan over medium heat with 2 tablespoons butter, sauté kale until wilted.
- When all ingredients have cooled, toss all together.
- In a small bowl mix cranberry juice, balsamic vinaigrette, salt and pepper. While whisking slowly add the olive oil.
- Toss vinaigrette with the salad mixture and transfer to a serving dish.
What are your favorite healthy winter weather snacks?